Job Duties: Responsible for software engineering in support of Steam, our virtual reality software platform. Research, design and engineer specialized software applications for advanced three-dimensional interactive graphic elements that are for use in cutting-edge technological media formats including advanced video game consoles, PC, and on-line gaming. Drive the development of Steam architecture and key coding contributor. Design and deliver software applications defining new features to enable new game experiences. Work as part of Valve's core development team, adding features and components to our best-of-breed computer games and pioneering e-commerce platform. Participate in the design of a variety of software products from small internal tools to large-scale web applications used by millions of people per month. Follow-through from project inception through design to detailed completion. Iterate on solutions based on internal and external (customer) feedback. Develop end-to-end data management solutions including database schema, database back-up & management, and performance tuning. Participate in the design process, gathering requirements with other engineers.
Job Requirements: Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field or the foreign degree equivalent including 10 years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience programming in low level programming languages specifically C or C++ or Java. Must also have the following experience:
- 6 years of experience working with relational database management systems specifically one of the following: Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server
- 6 years of experience with the complete software development life cycle from requirements gathering, designing, implementing, testing and supporting technology
- 6 years of experience modifying existing software to fix error and adapt to new requirements
- 4 years of experience leading and/or managing a primarily technology and software team; prioritizing work to meet organization goals
- 4 years of experience with Agile development methodology, project planning and iterative development
- 6 years of experience building customer facing products; iterating and improving based on customers feedback
- 6 years of experience with invention protection process; filed two or more patents that have since been granted
- 1 year of experience with working with Cloud technology (AWS or Azure) to support web services
- 1 year of experience selling and licensing software via custom or off-the-shelf software
Experience may be gained concurrently.
Position with Valve Corporation in Bellevue, Washington.
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews