Responsible for designing and developing environmental effects (skies, clouds, oceans, rivers), natural weather phenomena (rain, fog, lightning, heat haze, dust storms), pyrotechnic effects (smoke, flames, explosions, fireworks), magical and combat effects (spells, teleportation, fantastical weaponry) for our video games. Collaborate in small or large teams consisting of artists, designers, and programmers to ensure visual effects are appropriate with regards to the requirements of all disciplines. Advanced shader design and development for PBR materials, post-processing, and effects using shader programming languages. Design and create complex and versatile tools and effects behaviors. Create complex particle systems and effects utilizing in-depth knowledge of existing tools or develop new tools as required. Develop and utilize post-processing systems to create a wide variety of rendering and lighting effects. Ensure systems and effects are appropriately optimized. Research and keep abreast of the latest trends and techniques and implement and document where appropriate. Identify and develop solutions to recreate specific lighting and rendering styles as determined by the art direction of a project.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or a related technical field, or the foreign degree equivalent and 7 years of progressive, post-baccalaureate experience working in a lead position in the video gaming industry. This must include 5 years of experience:
- Using shader languages including HLSL, Cg or ShaderLab;
- Production tools including node-based material and shader editors;
- Particle system tools such as PET, Cascade, Shuriken, and Visual Effect Graph;
- Creating and developing VFX tools and effects;
- Developing and utilizing post-processing systems to create VFX rendering and lighting effects; and
- Identifying and developing solutions as determined by the art direction of a project.
Must also have worked on 3 shipped video games, including at least 2 AAA titles.
Experience may be gained concurrently.
Position located at Valve Corporation in Bellevue, Washington. Job# 95
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews