3D Environment Artist
Join us in Bellevue, WA, USA
As an environment artist at Valve, you will join a world-class group of software engineers, artists, writers, animators, and designers who continually build and release entertainment experiences to players around the globe. We hope to add your expertise in creating real-time environments to our team!
Environment artists here have broad skill set and exhibit deep expertise and ability to describe their process maturely and succinctly. We contribute to all aspects of development – from design, modeling, texturing, lighting and composition to the stories and gameplay that helps us build experiences alive with personality and history. We collaborate across all disciplines to help improve our tools, maximize the efficiency of our workflow, and ensure the art we build is performant.
An environment artist working at Valve typically has the following:
- A strong understanding of artistic and technical principles of scene construction
- A demonstrated ability to execute all or multiple aspects of environment art – from designing spaces, creating props and textures, set dressing and environmental storytelling, to lighting and navigation.
- Understanding of asset optimization and performance tracking
- Expertise in modeling organic and hard surface models
- Experience working in multiple art styles and across genres
- A deep portfolio of both professional AND personal work
- Mastery of one or more 3D applications such as Blender, Maya, 3dsMax, Zbrush, Houdini, Substance or others
Do you prefer to collaborate with peers to define the work that you pursue rather than simply follow a vision that's been set for you? If you're seeking an opportunity to work on genre-defining games with some of the best artists in the industry, consider joining Valve. We can't wait to see where you'll take us!
Sorry, we do not accept student portfolios.
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews