As an animator at Valve, you will join a world-class group of artists, writers, software engineers, and designers who are continually creating and releasing compelling entertainment experiences to players around the world.
Valve is an entertainment and technology company driven to design and deliver extraordinary products to our customers. We hire exceptional people with broad skill sets who also exhibit deep expertise in their chosen craft. As animators, we determine work priorities in collaboration with our peers, contributing creative solutions throughout production in a variety of ways. From conceptualizing ideas to producing an extensive range of animated content including dynamic interactive performances and large-scale cinematic moments, your work will be crucial in helping shape our ideas. Within each team, you will be a part of prototyping gameplay experiences with designers and programmers for a diverse array of characters, creatures, and in-game encounters. You will also work closely with software engineers to improve our proprietary tools, maximize efficiency of our workflow, and to ensure the animation that we create is exceptional.
Do you prefer to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply following a vision that's been set? If you're seeking an opportunity to work on genre-defining games with outstanding animators and other extraordinary creative talent, consider joining our team!
- An outstanding ability to portray believable physical movement and performance of 3D computer-generated characters
- Strong acting and storytelling skills, and an ability to work in a broad range of styles
- Proven professional experience shipping world-class products in the software, television or film industry
- A solid understanding of Maya; experience working with motion capture and building animation state machines a plus
- Product-level thinking that informs your intentional, meaningful decisions from concept to completion
- The capacity to be self-critical and responsive, and to iterate based on feedback from peers, customers and data
- Great communication skills that allow you to describe your process clearly and succinctly
- The ability to self-manage and make responsible decisions about time and project priorities
- Knowledge of rigging, scripting, modeling, texturing, lighting or video editing are preferred
As part of our application process, we require that you submit a concise reel demonstrating your work and a detailed description of the work found therein. Sorry, we do not accept student reels.
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews