As an Industrial Designer at Valve, you will collaborate with electrical, mechanical, software engineers and designers who are busily defining new entertainment experiences through both hardware and software. We are hoping to add your expertise in product design and manufacturing, ergonomics, usability, aesthetics, and surfacing to our team.
Valve is an entertainment and technology company driven to design and deliver rewarding experiences to customers. We hire generalists who also exhibit deep expertise. Designers at Valve contribute in a wide variety of ways: We define and articulate goals, we design and ship products, we create and implement user studies, we write press releases and blog posts, we manage projects, and much more. We also recruit designers. People like you.
Valve is traditionally a software company. Open platforms like the PC and Mac are important to us, as they enable us and our partners to have a robust and direct relationship with customers. We're frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space though, so we're jumping in. Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven't really changed in any meaningful way over the years. There's a real void in the marketplace, and opportunities to create compelling user experiences are being overlooked.
At Valve, our design process really gets going once products are in customers' hands. Our best work is the result of an ongoing dialog with customers. Through years of shipping software as a service through Steam, our digital distribution platform, this has become fundamental to the way we create great products. With an engaged community of millions of users, what will you ship? What will you try, and what will you learn through doing so?
Do you prefer to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply following a vision that's been set for you? If you're seeking an opportunity to steer product definition, functional exploration and design decision-making, consider joining Valve. We can't wait to see where you'll take us.
- A BS/BA/BFA Degree (or equivalent) in Industrial Design (or equivalent)
- 6+ years of professional experience shipping world-class, high-tech hardware products
- A thorough understanding of product design principles
- Highly effective multidisciplinary collaboration skills
- Personal commitment to quality, attention to detail
- Confidence with 2D and 3D design visualization tools
- Effective, articulate design communication and decision-making skills
Please include with your application an online portfolio of work which conveys your capabilities.
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews