As a user experience designer at Valve, you will join a world-class group of software engineers, artists, writers, animators and designers who are continually creating and releasing social entertainment experiences. We're hoping to add your expertise in visual communication, user experience design, usability, writing, and marketing to our team. We hire generalists who also exhibit deep expertise. Designers at Valve contribute in a wide variety of ways: We define and articulate goals, we design and publish user interfaces, architectures, layouts and graphics, we create and implement user studies, we write press releases and blog posts, we manage projects, and much more. We also recruit designers like you.
At Valve, our design process really gets going once products are in customers' hands. Our best work is the result of an ongoing dialog with customers. This is fundamental to the way we create great products. Through years of shipping software as a service through Steam, our digital distribution platform, we've learned to include our customers in the entirety of the design process. With an engaged community of millions of users, what will you ship? What will you try, and what will you learn through doing so?
Do you prefer to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply following a vision that's been set for you? If you're seeking an opportunity to steer product definition, functional exploration and design decision-making, consider joining Valve. We can't wait to see where you'll take us.
- An online portfolio of work that shows experience filled with intentionality and meaningful choices.
- Choices that: demonstrate product strategy and forward thinking, a customer-focused approach, and the ability to self-critique
- Choices that: show you are confident at making your users happy despite (or because of?) the constraints you worked within.
- A base of experience in graphic design (especially typography), and the desire to create and build your designs
- A strong track record of using design as a tool to lead in a multidisciplinary environment
- A thorough understanding of user interaction design principles
- A four-year college degree (or equivalent) in graphic, industrial, or interaction design
- Experience launching products and iterating based on customer feedback - your portfolio should contain multiple case studies of products and your influence upon them
- A strong interest and understanding of the collection of user data and feedback to drive decisions and iteration
- A personal commitment to quality with a preternatural attention to detail
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews