Steam is one of the fastest growing multimedia digital distribution platforms in the industry today. A rich web presence and strong web backend are central to the architecture of Steam. The Steam team and Valve game teams are seeking senior-level engineers who will help design, implement, and ship new features on the web while strengthening the web-based architectural components of our platform.
Valve is an entertainment and technology company driven to design and deliver extraordinary entertainment experiences to customers. We hire people with broad skill sets who also exhibit deep expertise. Web applications software engineers contribute to Valve's core development team in a wide variety of ways. We improve internal visibility of various game- and Steam-related data. We build and maintain software that delivers multiple forms of digital content on behalf of thousands of content creators to millions of customers around the world. We create open and re-usable web application components. We define and prioritize product goals derived from the work we do to understand both player and partner interests. We collaborate from project inception to detailed completion, contributing creative solutions to improve peoples' experiences with Valve's products. We also recruit engineers like you.
As a member of the Steam development team, you will introduce exciting new web-based features to our best-of-breed computer games and pioneering e-commerce platform. By regularly shipping a variety of products, from rapid prototypes of web user interfaces to large-scale web applications, you will directly and meaningfully impact the experience of millions of people. With an engaged community of users, you'll then have opportunities to improve your work based on the feedback and data you've collected to help measure your success.
- Proven professional experience releasing commercial software
- Experience contributing across all phases of a software project lifecycle
- An interest in and understanding of customer and partner feedback and data collection to inform decisions and iteration
- A Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent work experience) in computer science or a related field
- Also experience with one or more of the following
- PHP or similar web programming language (Node, Java, Python, Ruby, C#/.NET)
- HTML and CSS
- MS SQL / Oracle / MySQL
- Scaling and caching with Memcached or similar
- C/C++ experience is desirable but not required
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews