Can you turn a whiteboard concept into a sensational gameplay sequence, or help us determine why players don't ever look up when they're trying to solve puzzles? If so, we need you! We're seeking level designers to help us create exciting new gameplay experiences. As a level designer at Valve, you will join a world-class group of software engineers, artists, writers, animators, and designers who are continually building and releasing entertainment experiences to players around the globe.
Valve is an entertainment and technology company driven to design and deliver extraordinary entertainment experiences to customers. We hire people with broad skill sets who also exhibit deep expertise. Level designers at Valve contribute in a wide variety of ways: we participate in design sessions to create outlines of game experiences. We build game worlds in 3D, and use entity scripting to build cinematic sequences of gameplay. We work in dynamic, cross-disciplinary teams to implement elements such as art, animation, story, and design requirements. We coordinate observed playtesting, quantify and analyze feedback and produce creative solutions to issues raised, to ensure that players get the most out of every Valve game. We also manage and prioritize our own bug lists. And we recruit level designers like you.
Do you prefer to collaborate with peers to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply follow a vision that's been set for you? If you're seeking an opportunity to work on genre-defining games with other outstanding developers, consider joining Valve. We can't wait to see where you'll take us!
When applying, please include recent examples of levels or environments you have made.
- A working knowledge of a professional design tools
- Experience launching products and iterating on solutions based on customer feedback
- Expertise in programming, art, or architecture a plus
- An organization where 100% of time is dedicated as groups see fit
- The opportunity to collaborate with experts across a range of disciplines
- A work environment and flexible schedule in support of families and domestic partnerships
- A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
- Exceptional health insurance coverage
- Unrivaled employer match for our 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous vacation and family leave
- On-site amenities in support of health and efficiency
- Fertility and adoption assistance
- Reimbursement for child care during interviews